Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My definition of Success

• What does it mean to you to be successful?

I think about this question all the time, especially when I am stressing out after an exam, or when things are going downhill in the lab. But, I find myself reevaluating my views most often at the end of the month when counting my scanty store. Finances are usually the stressor that triggers panic about my “unsuccessful life”. Panic turned into fear, which eventual boils over to frustration and unhappiness with my accomplishments. I am sure that I am not the only person that goes through this futile cycle of self deteriorating psycho babble. Just recently, I realized that money is only one part of what makes me wealthy. After self reflection, during one of my day-cations at home, I came up with a list of things that I cared about most. I now measure my success not by a single number or a day’s events, but by the growth and development in these categories.

a. Academic: Mastery of information and the attainment of wisdom with time
b. Spiritual: The peace within one’s self of which to know that anything is possible through faith in your ability to create it
c. Health: The fitness of the mind and body
d. Emotions and love: Growth in relationships with loved ones and friends. Control over emotion is more difficult than any other thing. Lack of control veers a defeated man
e. Financial: The building of wealth allows one to realize true access of opportunities that are prohibited in its absence

No comments: